In the spotlight
Roman Shapiro's other performance experience includes singing Chinese opera
on Chinese television, Baroque music (Monteverdi, Handel) with Moscow
University Chamber Orchestra, as well as being a member of Voci di Ricci (a
small singing company led by Dmitry Stepanovich from Stanislavsky Moscow Music
Theatre, with which I have sung at the Rachmaninov Hall of the Moscow
Conservatory and Stt. Peter and Paul’s Lutheran Cathedral) and giving chamber
and opera music concerts at various museums, libraries and churches in Moscow.
He also performed at a series of concerts in Poland (August 2017, August 2019,
October 2019), including concerts with the Symphony Orchestra of Jelenia Góra.
As a child he sang at the Pokrovsky Opera children choir and the Ostozhenka
children musical theatre (including tours in Turkey and the USA).
Roman has taught music, including Chinese music and culture at universities
in Russia and abroad. Currently he teaches at Masaryk University (Brno, Czech
- Irina Dolzhenko (The Bolshoi soloist, People’s Artist of Russia)
- Vladimir Kraitman (Maimonides Academy Professor)
- Svetlana Yurasova (Meritorious Artist of Russia)
- Faculty of Music of the Maimonides Academy (Moscow), Opera / Vocal Art
(Specialist Degree), 2018
- Gnesin Academy of Music (Moscow), Opera / Vocal Art (Preparatory
- Institute for Asian and African Studies, Moscow University, Chinese
Russian (native), English (advanced), Mandarin (advanced), French
(intermediate), Italian, German, Spanish (good reading skills), Hebrew,
- Special Prizes of the International „Rübezahl“ Competition (Poland, 2017
- Especially Outstanding Artist status (אומן מצטיין במיוחד) granted by the
Ministry of Aliya and Integration of Israel (March 2019)
- Bastien in “Bastien und Bastienne“ by W.A. Mozart (Sung in German, Moscow,
Maimonides Academy Opera Studio, December 2015)
- Don Basilio in „Le nozze di Figaro“ by W.A. Mozart (Sung in Italian,
Moscow, Maimonides Academy Opera Studio, June 2016 and Jerusalem School
of Music and Dance, July 2019)
- Lensky in „Eugene Onegin“ by P.I. Tchaikovsky Sung in Russian,
Moscow, Maimonides Academy Opera Studio, December 2016)
- Bomelius, the Tsar’s physician in „The Tsar’s Bride“ by N.A.
Rimsky-Korsakov (Sung in Russian; Moscow, Maimonides Academy Opera Studio, June
- Spiridone in „Il campanello” by G. Donizetti (Sung in Russian, Winterreise
Project, Scriabin Museum December 2017 and Tchaikovsky Museum April 2018)
- Operetta roles in the Magical Operetta Programme of Jerusalem School of
Music and Dance (Jerusalem, July 2018)
- Monostatos, First Priest, Second Armed Man in "Die Zauberflöte" by W.A.
Mozart (Sung at Lyric Opera Studio Weimar, August 2018)